Forum Name: Ovarian Cancer

Question: no period w/out birth control for a year and four months

plantaintree0my - Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:30 pm

I stopped having my period in april of 2006. There was nothing out of the ordinary happening in my life, although I was nearing the end of my senior year in high school. Through out the summer my appetite changed and geared me towards eating lots of unhealthy carbs and sugars. I felt depressed. I went to the Gyno. She told me my estrogen levels were very low and put me on birth control. I was on it for about five months, although I did skip a few months after I started taking it, because I wanted to see if I would get it on my own. I am starting to feel hoplessly hormonal again, and I really would prefer to find a way besides birth control to get my cycle back to normal. I have also been experiencing annoying itchiness and most recently after having sex, I started bleeding the next day, it lasted about four days. I don't know if the bleeding was my period or not. I would really appreciate some wise words. Thank you
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:01 pm

User avatar I'm sure it is frustrating for you. Hormones can certainly fluctuate and amenorrhea (absence of periods) can have a number of causes. Using hormones, as with birth control pills, are about the only way you will be able to regulate your periods. Sometimes it takes a year or more on the oral contraceptives, so I would advise giving it time to help. It may eventually stabilize, however.

I would guess that the bleeding was, in fact, your period. It certainly sounds like it to me.

You may have other underlying problems as well - even possibly depression, so you should stay in contact with your doctor about your symptoms. There is also the possibility that another gland is causing your symptoms so you want to be evaluated thoroughly.

Good luck with this.

|