Forum Name: Leukemia

Question: if both parents had cancer and i have signs what do i do

sweetone - Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:36 pm

I am a 31 yr hispanic female, mother of 3 kids married 14 yrs. I have been enemic for a very long time, at this time I am very fatige and I am brusing for no reason. both parent had cancer. I have had lab done and they say everything is fine. but I don't feel fine. my mother had cervical cancer @ 24 yrs old and a form of lukemia @ 32 yrs old, and my father lost a kidney to cancer 3yrs ago. so am i at risk or is there other ways to find out if i can have cancer beside blood work?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:41 am

User avatar Hi Sweetone,

Familial risk of developing cancer depends a lot on what type of cancer is in the family. There are some cancer types where risk is inherited (such as some breast cancers) and others that are much less likely to be impacted by family history (such as cervical cancer).

Leukemias can present with anemia but other causes of anemia and fatigue are much more common. Severe anemia, itself, can cause fatigue. Iron deficiency is probably the most common cause of anemia.

If you are bruising easily as well it is a good idea to have your platelet count checked also. If you have anemia and low platelets you may need to have a bone marrow biopsy done to make sure everything is OK.

If you are having difficulty determining why you are bruising easily or if you are unable to find the cause of your anemia I would recommend you see a hematologist.

|