News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Leukemia

Question: An elevated leukocytes count

msmiss - Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:17 pm

I'm an 18 years old female, whose last blood test came out fairly normal except for the leukocyctes count, which turned out to be a little higher (12600000000 when the normal would be 11000000000). I must point out that the day I took the test I was extremely stressed, but I don't know if this was the only reason of this abnormality. I actually think I might have leukemia, I have a couple of petechiae in my left hand and I've been feeling awfully fatigued, have had no appetite, lots of headaches and some bone pain. Am I being paranoid? Or is this most definetely leukemia?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:03 am

User avatar Hi Msmiss,

The list of things that can cause an elevated leukocyte count is quite long. Stress can cause an elevation as can a simple cold. Leukemia is on the list as well.

The actual types of leukocytes are more helpful in determining the risk of leukemia. If any "blasts" are seen this would be very suspicious for leukemia. If the leukocyte types are all normal, leukemia is much less likely.

If you happen to have the cell type differential to post for me I'd be happy to take a look and let you know what I think.

Overall, I would not be too worried about a level of 12.6 being leukemia. Most likely it is from the stress or a little infection.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here