News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Lump on mastoid process

lumpylump - Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:16 am

Hi, I'm a 32 year old male. Around four months ago, I developed a non-specific skin irritation involving both of my outer ears and cheekbones which lasted for around three weeks, marked by itchy, red, swollen skin.

Around this time I also noticed a lump just behind my right ear on the mastoid process. At the time, I had two doctors tell me that it was likely an enlarged lymph node due to the skin irritation and that I shouldn't worry about it - was given a topical cream for the rash and no antibiotics. Now, four months later, the skin irritation is gone (except for the occasional tingling), but the lump remains. It hasn't gotten bigger, but it hasn't gotten smaller.

The lump is about a centimetre across, kind of flat, and is most noticible when I turn my head to the left. It is not painful (unless I poke and prod at it awhile, of course), and is somewhat soft to the touch, feeling a little sinewy.

Any idea what this might be? How concerned should I be?

Thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:31 am

User avatar Hi Lumpylump,

I suspect your doctors were correct about this being a lymph node. Occasionally, after lymph nodes become swollen they don't fully reduce in size and can remain around a centimeter or so.

The area you describe is appropriate for a lymph node.

If it begins to get larger I would recommend you have it evaluated again. Otherwise it is probably fine.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here