News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Enlarged lymph node in groin area

akb - Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:06 pm

I´m 18 year old male. About a month ago I felt an enlarged lymph node in my groin area. My doctor told me not to worry and said this was common in young people. He said it was soft and mobile, but he did send me to an ultra sound.
There it was revealed that the node was 0,4 cm (0.2 in) in size and the doctor said everything looked normal. Two weeks later I went back to my doctor who said there was no change.

I have a few questions. He said it was mobile. What does that mean? When I feel the node it seems that the skin is only moving but not the lump itself.
Even before the ultrasound the lump felt larger than it really is, why is that? Does 'soft and mobile' mean it is nothing to worry about.

I don´t have any cancer like symptoms such as night sweats and fever.
There is no history of cancer in my family.
I´m on medications called Cipralex, is that relevant?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:20 pm

User avatar Hello Akb,

Generally lymph nodes are called soft when they feel rubbery as opposed to hard like a marble.

Mobility refers to the ability to move the lymph node around. It should be the lymph node that is moving not just the skin.

Sometimes after a lymph node has become enlarged due to fighting off an infection it may not return to its previous size. Often these nodes will stay about a centimeter in size. They subsequently can feel a bit hard but are typically still mobile.

If you're lymph node is not getting any bigger it is likely normal.

My colleague, Dr. Fouad, has written an extensive article on lymph nodes. The first part is focused on lymph nodes in the neck but the rest is applicable to your situation as well.

The article can be found here: http://www.doctorslounge.com/oncology/diagnosis/lymph_node/cervical.htm

Best wishes.
 akb - Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:13 am

My doctor said it was mobile so I guess I have to believe him.

When I push on top of the node it kinda 'jumps away', is that mobile?
 Medstud - Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:47 am

yes it means that it is mobile, plus shotty nodes are a common finding in the groin. Your node is too small to be considered threatening.
 akb - Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:54 am

Also one thing is the node measured from top to bottom or is it by length?

There is no obvious signs of infection, so what other reasons could there be?

And when should I start to worry?
 Medstud - Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:08 pm

length and width, since it is most likely oval in structure it would be diameter instead of width.

I have groin nodes as well, they could have been there way before you noticed them They come from day to day exposure to cuts, small fungal infections on the feet. They are common.

Worry if it continues to increase in size over a series of examinations.
 akb - Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:31 am

AFAIK it has been about a month.
If it is cancer how big would the node be now and when would I start to feel symptoms?
 Medstud - Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:08 pm

Alot of the lymph nodes never return to their original size, and there is no fixed size to how a cancerous node would be. It depends on on the cancer, stage and many other factors.

As long as your node is <=1.5 cm ( groin lymph nodes only) I would not worry much about it. Monitor it from time to time, say every 3 weeks for any difference in size.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here