Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: lump behind jaw and below ear

uktrublucat - Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:39 pm

I am a 36 year old female and have a hard lump located behind and toward the top of my left jaw bone. It has not changed in size, but I feel like there is somethng stuck in my throat and I have pain under my arms and in my left shoulder. I have not been running a fever or lost weight, but I have been very fatigued and my memory seems to be getting worst. My GP said it was assoicated with a bad tooth. He ran a thyroid test, it was normal. I had a root canal on # 13 four years ago that has failed. I am having that fixed in two weeks.

My questions are: Should I be worried if this doesn't correct the lump, pain etc. I was talking with my mother and she reminded me that my grandfather had to have his lymph nodes (in same area) removed due to cancer. How much does his history increase my risk of cancer? Should I wait to see if the second root canal corrects the problem or see a different Doctor?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:36 pm

User avatar HI Uktrublucat,

The area you are describing does contain multiple lymph nodes. If you have some inflammation or an infection around your teeth it may have caused the lymph node enlargement.

It seems to be reasonable to wait and see if the tooth repair helps the node.

If it doesn't I would recommend you have your doctor re-evaluate the node.

|