Forum Name: Anal Cancer

Question: Blood on tissue after wiping

Shell3 - Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:09 am

I am a 29 year old female in good health and am not on any medications. I am 5'3'' and 133 lbs. I returned exactly a week ago from a six week voluntary teaching programme in Ethiopia. I have noticed blood on the tissue after wiping after a bowel movement. I have noticed this twice, once while I was there and again today. There was about 10 days between each time I noticed. I have no pain, itching or sickness and my bowel movements are normal and healthy now. However while I was in Ethiopia I was constipated a lot of the time and felt very bloated a lot of the time. Since I have returned, that has stopped and my bowel movements have returned to normal. This time there was more blood on the tissue than the first. I thought it was my period but it isn't. I am quite worried as to what it could be. Thanks in advance for your help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:13 pm

User avatar Hi Shell3,

There are several common causes of rectal blood. It may be due to internal or external hemorrhoids, a colonic polyp that is bleeding some, or an anal fissure (small crack in the mucosa/skin) that is bleeding.

Given that you were recently in Ethiopia it may also be appropriate to check for parasites, although these typically would cause a few more symptoms than just 2 episodes of bleeding.

Your doctor can help evaluate this if it persists.

|