Forum Name: Esophageal Cancer

Question: barrett's esophagus treatment before cancer occurs?

jennifer1b - Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:08 pm

I am a 63 year old female. I take meds for blood pressure, gerd and cholesterol. Recently I have been diagnosed with barrett's esophagus. My gastroenterologist says to be checked every 2 years, my primary doctor says to go back in 1 year. Can I do something now while I am healthy enough to cure this? How long does it take to turn into cancer? If it was you, what would you do?
 btdawgh - Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:36 am

I am a female 60 years old. I am not a doctor. My Barrets was found by accident.Dr.was going to do Colon probe and said may as well go down throat as well. I did not have symtoms related to Esph. He found Barrets cells but it was not cancer. I went to large cancer hospital where they wanted to do MAJOR surgery to Esph.to remove Barrets cells.I was told lots of people get Barrets but lots of people don't get cancer. I had a tube down my throat to measure acid or something .when I learned by accident of Investigational study being down out of state. I sent my records to them,they said come be part of study.The study is NOW, FDA approved.That dr. was and is VERY aggressive and believes ANY Barrets should be removed and does NOT have the wait and see attitude. This technique is using a Yag Laser to burn ONLY the Barrets tissue..where as the Cancer hospital wanted to remove the entire Esph. I go every six months to my local dr..he burns the returning Barrets in a different way. I have gone to out of town dr.over the past 12 years a few times as well.
My advice (or what worked for me since we can't give advice here) is don't wait and see...the sooner the Barrets is removed the better and even with the Yag Laser the less Barrets present the faster the recovery. You are lucky PDT is now approved by most insurance companies. Good luck..I hope this helped a little.

|