Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: lymphoma / itching

smitty - Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:49 am

31 y/o male. For the past two or three months I have experienced generalized itching and neck pain. I went to the doctor for the itching and was given an antihistamine which helps to some degree. I mentioned what i had been reading about causes of generalized it hing to her and my concern over lymphoma. She felt my glands and said they all felt normal and ordered a blood test to check liver function and other things including sedimentation rate. I was told that all blood work was normal. After about a week I went back and saw my regular doctor (same office as the other doc) for the neck pain. She felt my neck and felt like I had a strained muscle. Besides pain in the back of my neck I had been feeling pain directly under my ear is the node area. I motioned this to her and asked her directly about these nodes which she felt and said they feel normal. I'm curios / worried that something is being missed and wonder if the things that have been done are correct and / or do I need to ask for further testing? I also have had two or three night sweats in the past couple of months although none recently. Is the generalized itching associated with lymphoma more describable (intensity, constant?) thank you for any info you can give me.
 smitty - Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:06 am

Wondering if anyone knows how long until you get a response?
 debmatt - Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:53 am

It could take a few days for a reply. Hang in there.
Can you get in to see and ENT doctor?
Have you had any of the following? Fatigue, night sweats, low grade fevers?
These are also symptoms of lymphoma.
 smitty - Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:30 am

I have an appointment tomorrow with my GP about the itching. I have had atleast three episodes of night sweats in the past couple of months although none recently. don't really feel fatigued. I'm hoping that I'm looking into my symptoms too much but its hard to out the symptoms I have been having behind me without an answer as to whats going on. Hopefully I'm barking up the wrong tree. Thats why I'm here trying to get an answer as to weather or not I need to continue down this path with the fact that all of my nodes feel normal to both doctors I've seen and the blood work that has been done did not show any cause for concern.
 debmatt - Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:11 pm

Smitty,

Night sweats are typically "drenching". If you woke up hot and a little sweaty cause it is hot outside that really does not constitue a night sweat from cancer. You will hear of lymphoma patients who literally have to get up change their bedding and change their bed clothes. Hopefully it is not like that for you. The fact that you are not fatigued is good. That is usually one of the 1st symptoms. Good luck at the doctor visit and please post again with what the doctor says. I am very curious.
 smitty - Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:16 pm

I went to the doctor today about the itching and She felt it has more to do with allergies. Went over my past blood work and the fact that thats all been normal and seemed to think I'm off base with the Lymphoma thoughts due to the fact that other symptoms are not there. I have no visible swollen nodes, or any fatigue. I have felt "hot" at times but when I've checked my temp its mostly been normal except for a couple of times it was 99.8 with a ear scan and normal in the ear can be as much as 99.7 so I guess that ok.

As far as the night sweats go the three episoded I had were drenching in nature but she said that If the were due to lymphoma they would be more consant and I would be experiancing this all the time. She did put my mind at ease somewhat but I can be a worry wart so we'll see how it goes.
 debmatt - Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:38 pm

Smitty,

Once in a while I will wake up a little sweaty but it is usually because I have too many blankets on me. It only has happened maybe once a month. Sooo this was good to hear that with lymphoma it would be a constant night sweating episode. Come to think of it I have read people posting who stated that their night sweats are constant and these are from people diagnsed with lymphoma.
I also have allergies so did your dr explain the sweating and allergy association?

Thanks!
 smitty - Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:46 pm

no but I'm starting to wonder if the sweating / hot feeling I am have isnt related to stress or worrying.

She made and apt for me to see an allergy doctor for testing next week so we'll see.

Do you have some concern with Lymphoma?
 debmatt - Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:45 pm

Smitty,

Yes, I do and have for a year and 1/2. Really I feel that I have been living in my own little "hell" for this long. Long story condenced, I started getting health anxiety almost 2 years ago. I started reading all sorts of things on the internet. I then came upon lymphoma and started feeling my neck. I dug and dug and found a lymph nodes on each side of my neck. I never stopped touching them. They are there, have never gotten large but they were not noticable until I had manipulated them. If I don't touch them for some days they shrink but once I start they get irritated. For this long now I have been concerned, more concerned at times than others. When I come back to reality I think, I run 5 miles a day, I lift weights 2X per week, I go to work come home and am busy cleaning, laundry, dinner until bed time. If I had lymphoma I would not have this kind of energy, would have large lumps in my neck by now and be sick. But the little voice in my head still haunts me and makes me scared. What are your thoughts?
 smitty - Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:13 am

I certainly understand where your coming from. I have the same fears. I also work three or four times a week. Thats kinda the way my lymph nodes started to "feel funny" to me was only after I started checking them / poking at them,etc. The brain is a powerful tool thats hard to get over if its telling you something even though what its telling you seems unlikely, trust me I know.
 lmbd - Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:56 pm

Just thought I would let you know that you are not alone. I have had severe lymphoma fears for about 7 months now. I do suffer from HA so this is not my first cancer fear. My extreme HA started after my son was born with a cleft lip and pallet. I have one single enlarged node for the past seven months. In all actuality it could have been there for years and I would never have known. IT is around 1-1.3 cm and the first doctor I saw said it was only mildly enflammed. Noone has ever been worried about it and I have felt very similar nodes in 1/2 the people I know. I have no fever, have never had a night sweat,(except right after my daughter was born and that was due to changing hormones and was 4 years ago). NO fatigue or weight loss. I also due vigorous exercise for about 60 min a day 5 days a week, clean cook and run after a 4 year old and a 2 year old all day. ALso, I am usually tired at night when I go to bed but not extremely and I never can go to bed before eleven o'clock. I am 23 and extremely healthy and have no family history of lymphoma at all and almost no family history of cancer period. Mine also seems to worsen after poking and prodding it for days on end. Do you think that I have cancer? would I know by now. The only person that I really know that has had lymphoma had lymph nodes the size of an orange. Also, I might add that I am not expieriencing itching unless I sit and think about itching cause I know that is a symptom of lymphoma. Then it is not severe itching and a simple scratch clears it right up. Cancer seems to be everywhere but in all reality the chances of lymphoma before 40 is only 0.4%. Help would definitly be appreciated but at this point I am not even sure if a neg. biopsy would calm my nerves.( noone has ever wanted to do a biopsy they all just say I'm fine) Would I be sick by now or would my node have grown or would I feel tired and run down it this was cancer? HELP!!!!!!!!!!

|