Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: 3 enlarged groin nodes 2.5cm Swelling in leg/ankle Doc ???

sharpeiluv - Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:32 am

Please help... should I worry ?? Doc seems stumpted.
Im a seemingly healthy 33 year old woman 5'2 135. Past surgeries include 2 orthopedic on left ankle and left hand and 4 C-sections last being 11 yrs ago.
Family history
Heart Disease is HUGE, Cancer, High Blood pressure and asthma.
Currently on Allergra for allergies. Otherwise very healthy.
~~~~~~~~~
Problem began aprox 3 MONTHS ago when I noticed out of the blue swelling on my right ankle.. it started on the inside portion. It would be worse in the afternoon/night and would disapate over night being much less in the morning only to reappear when the day progressed. As time went on the swelling took over more of my ankle and now will occasionally include my calf as well.
About 3 weeks ago I started to notice a funny something not right feeling in my right groin area, not really a pain. But very noticable when I would move my leg to walk. Oddly enough after that first day of irritation in my groin, the next day, swelling in my ankle was almost GONE... it was the closest to normal it had looked in months... Unfortunatly it was short lived and did return. SOOO somehow I realized that the feelings in my groin were no doubt related to this unexplained swelling. When I had no irritation in my groin, the swelling was bad... when I did have that irritation in the groin, swelling was better. ODD...
SOO...
Tests done include
MRI of ankle only showed significant swelling nothing more.
Ultrasound of thigh looking for clots was normal.
Finally convinced Doc to ultrasound my pelvis and they saw
3 Enlarged Nodes, the largest measuring 2.5 cm
CBC looked normal, he also ordered some thyroid tests that are not back yet.
Im wondering if The enlarged nodes can cause this unexplained swelling, and if so they must have been there all along. Does this sound like something that should worry me.? The problem has gone on for so long and all I kept getting was, lets wait another month and see if it will improve.. well obviously time is not going to take this away.
PLEASE HELP !! Any info would be appreciated.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:49 pm

User avatar Hi Sharpeiluv,

It would be a bit difficult for pelvic lymph nodes to cause swelling in the ankle only. The nodes could potentially compress the nerves and lymphatic vessels that drain the leg through the pelvis and cause some swelling. This would tend to give some swelling of all the leg, though.

If the lymph nodes have been enlarged for an extended period of time it may be wise to have one of them biopsied to see what is going on with them. If there is suspicion of a blockage, nuclear medicine scans can be used to trace the lymphatic drainage and CT contrast scans can be used to trace the venous drainage of the leg to see if there is any congestion.

sharpeiluv - Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:06 am

Thank you so much Doctor for your reply. Here is an update. I feel so helpless and at my wits end with this problem. My Family Doc referred me to a surgeon due to the enlarged nodes. Surgeon said they are more than likely Reactive and he ordered a CT of my pelvis and abdomen. All normal except for the nodes which had gotten smaller.
He then ordered a venous doppler which they said was normal.
The swelling still is in my ankle but is much less and is now more prominent in my calf which initially led me to believe that I was getting better because the ankle didnt seem as swollen anymore. Then the other night my son was sitting by me on the couch and grabbed my calf and squeezed for the heck of it I guess and it left his hand print in my leg... He about flipped.. Thats when I realized that it was now my calf that was very swollen when pressure is applied it will leave a HUGE Dent that will remain for about 15 seconds or so then disappear.
All these tests, all negative What in the world could this be....??
I still have the pain in my lower right side/groin/crease where your leg bends, worse with bending/walking motion etc. and of course the swelling which seems to be moving up my leg now.
Are there any other tests I should be requesting?? Anything else you might recommend or any additional thoughts on what this may be ??
Im at a loss and feel like Im going to be swollen for the rest of my life... Im only 33.

|