News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: I have had lumps in my breast since 13 or younger -terrified

lanieoneill - Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:11 pm

Its me again. I've calmed down a little since my last post and have since had a chance to read through other posts. Let me restart...

I am a 20 year old female. When a was around 13 years old (maybe younger) I noticed lumps in my breats. They are still there today, not painful, same size, movable and hard. I have not had discharge and do not have a family history, but do have history of other forms of cancer (colon, prostate, liver). Although I am now become increasingly worried as I am experiencing other symptoms. I often get light headed, and headaches (although have always had this issue). I recently obtained numbness to my right upper leg, right big toe, and left pinky toe. I have always had bad circulation in my legs. Even as a young child I remember having extreme pain in my calves, but that could have been growing pains. Another symptom I have is amenorrhea. I have not had my period in around 7 months. Could this be related to my diet? I read a post on soy, saying that it may change a women's menstrual cycle. Is this true? I have been drinking soy milk every morning for the past few months. Could this be related? I also eats a lot of flax seed, green tea, oatmeal (LARGE portion of my diet). Could my diet be affecting my menstrual cycle, or could it perhaps infact be because of breast cancer? I also experience bloating.

If you can offer any advice, information or solutions I would greatly appreciate it! If you need any more information, let me know. I am deeply concerned and frightened!

Melanie
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:42 pm

User avatar Hi Melanie,

It is very unlikely that the lumps you are feeling are cancerous. Breast tissue is normally quite lumpy. This is why it is important to do regular self breast exams-so you can be familiar with the lumps and notice if any are new or changing.

There are also many causes for amenorrhea. I would recommend you see a gynecologist about this. At that point, you can discuss the breast lumps also.

Your numbness is a little different. This should be checked out as well. Your primary care doctor is probably the best place to start. You may need some imaging studies (like a CT or MRI of the brain/spine) to see if there are any problems going on. A thorough physical exam will help determine what work up is needed.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here