Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: cystic nodule turns into very hard solid nodule?

rosie75 - Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:19 am

What does it mean that a cystic nodule becomes very hard solid nodule without calsification? Before surgery my nodule were cystic and during surgery they found out it was very hard solid material nodule. My FNA turns out bengin and frozen section is bengin but waiting for final report from out of state lab. What are the chances that it just say bengin? He was stumpted about it being that all test showed cystic and now all of the sudden its very hard solid nodule. I am still clueless about this and if you can help me understand what this means?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:10 pm

User avatar Hi Rosie75,

Unfortunately, I am also uncertain why this would happen. My only thought is that sometimes when we do more invasive tests like a biopsy we find out that what actually is present is different from what we thought was present.

Perhaps your nodule was firm all along and the studies simply gave the impression that it was cystic. I'm really not able to give you a good reason why it would become solid if it really was cystic in the beginning.

If all the preliminary tests are coming back benign (not cancer) it is most likely that the final will as well. It is still important to follow up on this though.

|