Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Lump under nipple with soreness suddenly

PerryGr2 - Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:14 am

I am a 34 year old male and during a vacation, I noticed soreness in one nipple and found a moveable knot under the nipple. In the past 2 days the other nipple became a little swolen with no knot and under both armpits there is a couple of knots with red areas with identifiying marks. Each red area has it's own lump. In three days 5 areas have appeared and the one on my left nipple is still sore. Is this something I should be worried about? My mother had passed away from breast cancer and I know the odds are slim but still the suddeness of this has me a little worried.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:55 pm

User avatar Hi PerryGr2,

While breast cancer in men is very unusual it can happen. It may also be that you are feeling enlarged lymph nodes from an infection. The chest/breast area drains to the arm pit area so these nodes can become swollen also.

I would recommend you have this evaluated if it gets worse or doesn't get better in the next day or so. Don't wait too long. If it is cancer, the sooner it is detected the better. If it's an infection you may need some antibiotics for it to resolve.

PerryGr2 - Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:17 pm

Thanks for the quick response. I saw my doctor today and he said it doesn't feel like a cancer but he ordered some bloodwork such as LDH, CBC, and CMP. He also placed me on antibiotics, minocycline, for 10 days. I normally do not worry but the past few months has been a little rough with swollen lymphnodes in my neck and fluid behind my ear and build up of phlegm at the bottom of my throat, not a cough, but just something that has been lingering for about 6 weeks now. Can all this be related?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:03 am

User avatar It certainly may all be related. The most common reason for all the symptoms you are having is that you have been the unlucky person to have contracted one virus after another. In this case, it is actually more than one infection but seems to be the same one since there is no time in between.

There are a few viruses like ebstein-barr virus tha can cause prolonged symptoms without getting more than one infection.

If your symptoms persist you should follow up with your doctor.

|