Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: FNA results--question--

paramount - Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:22 am

I just recieved results of FNA for left throid mass and lymphadenopathy.. Needless to say was in state of shock as my ENT read results to me. Thyroid gland,left lobe,multiple sites,FNA's and cytologic preparations--atypical cells--definitive Dx pending additional studies. For left neck lymph node image-guided FNA's and cytologic preparations--small celled malignant neoplasm. Morphologic differential Dx includes neuroendocrine tumor, small celled adenocarcinoma and large cell malignant lymphoma. My question for now is--Does the differential Dx mean I have all 3 of these or that it could be any one of the three? Also stained cytokeratin 7 positive. My ENT refered me to an onclogist for further Dx and treatment but won't see him until this friday and am trying to research this till then. Only symptoms till now have been palpable sore spot mid left neck and palpable nodule below that. Had neg chest CT scan with contrast. Am 51 yr old male . Thanks for any input!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:36 pm

User avatar Hi Paramount,

A differential diagnosis is a list of possibilities for the condition. In your case, the differential of 3 different cancers means it is likely to be one of the three, not all three.

I cannot comment on which of the three it may be. This is beyond my expertise. The oncologist will be able to give you very good information and discuss treatment options with you.

|