Forum Name: Cervical Cancer

Question: elevated Ca125 bloodwork but no ovaries

marthella - Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:24 pm

I am female; just turned 60. Had total hysterectomy (inc. ovaries) at age 41 because of cervical ca.,endometriosis,fibroid tumor & ovarian cysts) Nine wks ago, I was hospitalized for 6 wks-4 of them in cardiac intensive care unit w/ pericarditis that came out of nowhere (woke up & couldn't breathe). I also was in atrial fib (which I have had for 2 yrs but take cardizem& flecanide to control) My bp was 80/50; heart rate 185. Remained that way for 5 days. Heart naturally converted to sinus rhythm on its own right before drs. did cardioversion. I did not have a pericardial tap. The fluid eventually reabsorped-was given no antibiotics, just heart meds & heparin. Had numerous blood tests for bacterial infection-all neg. Rheumatoid arthrologist tested me for lupus, arthritis, immune diseases-all neg. I was discharged on oxygen (still had pulse ox of 82 w/out it) & came home. I had a fever while in hospital of 102 but before discharge it was 99.something every day. After 4 days at home, fever back to 101 & breathing very labored. I went to ER and was told I now had pleural effusions both lungs and atelectasis both lungs-readmitted to hospital. Kept another 2 1/2 wks. Lung fluid removed-neg for Ca cells or any bacterial infection-cloudy, straw fluid w/ high inflammatory, wbc count. My blood work came back very anemic(8.5), Ca125 of 126 and C reactive protein of 156. I was given iron IV and procrit and anemia went away. Once all fluid gone from rt lung and most gone from left-I was discharged. fever was gone. Still no diag. other than some virus probably??? Have been home 3 wks now and for last 5 days, fever is back but not constant. goes from 99.4-101, usually at night, not during the day (although sometimes daytime too, but some days, no fever at all) Feel much better on days I don't have fever but still have pleurisy pain only recently (in conjunction with the return of the fever), the pain is worse. It started left front (which was the worse lung) under breast and now is on right side worse than left. Hurts even on shallow inspiration.
I had mammogram last wk that was neg-slightly enlged lymph node under rt arm pit.Slightly enlged mediastinal lymp nodes on chest x-rays.CT scans done in hospital showed nodules on thyroid, liver cyst, complex splenic cyst and slight splenomegaly, adrenal adenoma. I went to endocrinologist who feels nothing need be done about adrenal adenoma or thyroid. I am constipated and & have had bowel changes but could be due to hospitalization. I just don't feel good and don't know where to turn-afraid to even complain because I don't want to be back in hospital again.four days ago, had follow-up exam w/ internist who I did tell about fever and pain. She did EKG & compared it to copy of last hospital EKG-she said it was abnormal and thought maybe I was getting pericarditis again but ultrasound done that day showed no fluid. Any thoughts??
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:53 pm

User avatar Hi Marthella,

Your symptoms, except perhaps the elevated CA-125, all fit well with systemic lupus erythematosus. You may want to see your rheumatologist again and be re-evaluated for this. Sometimes the antibody tests do not become positive for a little while.

In reviewing the literature some I found that things such as pleural effusions can cause an elevated CA-125. It may be that your level is elevated due to the pericarditis or pleural effusions. With your history of gynecological issues it may still be a wise idea to talk with your oncologist and see if anything should be pursued from this standpoint.

|