Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Cancer scare or not due to enlarged lymph nodes

jmfennell - Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:39 pm

23 year old male. Back in July I developed Strep group B, which I received treatment for and recovered from. Since then I have had an enlarged lymph node located by the back of my right jaw and below my ear. The node is tender to the touch, and hasn't changed much in a little over one month. Back when I had my Strep diagnosed I also had a CBC done which came back reading normal levels. I have not experienced any fatigue or weight loss and appear otherwise healthy. My main concern with this though is that my brother was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma back in 2003 when he was 21. Should I be concerned from a genetic standpoint and have a doc check it out, or should I wait it out, seeing that the lymph node was probably a result from the infection in July? Thank you in advance for your time in answering.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:10 pm

User avatar Hi Jmfennell,

I think it is unlikely that this node is related to cancer. It does seem to be a long time since the strep infection for it to still be enlarged and tender. I would recommend you have this evaluated by your doctor because you may actually have a smoldering infection in the node that may need further antibiotics to help it clear.

|