Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Enlarged lymph node in groin

akb - Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:24 am

I´m 18 year old male and I have had an painless enlarged lymph node for about 2 months. It is on my left groin, last week I found another smaller node in my right groin.

It is smaller than the left but it is palpable and like the left one it is mobile. I´m worried sick that it may be lymphoma.

I have had ultrasound on the left node, the doctor said it looked normal and was 0.4 cm in size, I have always felt it was bigger.
I had a blood test which came back normal.
All doctors I have talked to say it is nothing to worry about.

I have some questions.

As far as I know I have had this for two months. If it was lymphoma would I have any symptoms now?

I have had some mild itching, nothing severe and I don´t need to scratch for relief.

There is no infection, so what could it be.

How is the node measured, can I do it myself?

The right swelling is 'longer' than the left. Is that worrisome?

Both of the swellings especially the right one is more palpable when I kinda stretch my leg.

Is it possible that the right nodes are normal but just a bit larger than the other ones?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:40 pm

User avatar The lymph system is part of your body's mechanism for dealing with infection. It is very unlikely this is anything serious as your doctors have said. Cancer is a very rare development. By far swollen lymph nodes are most often associated with localized or systemic infection. If they grow rapidly and become hard or you develop signs of infection - fever, chills, night sweats, fatigue, etc. you should see your doctor again.

I do not know how you could measure this yourself but would not stress over that either. Try to leave it alone and see if it goes away by itself.

Best wishes

|