News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: lymph nodes are swollen on both sides on my neck - itchy

WorriedTeen - Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:09 am

Hi I would be so grateful if you could let me know what you think...(doctors only please)

Ok I am 18 years of age and last july I noticed that my lymph nodes were swollen on both sides on my neck.I went to the doctor and he said under my jaw (submandular gland?)on the right side was swollen.On the left side the nodes are smaller then those on the right side.Doctor said I had a viral infection.he came to this conclusion after loads of blood tests.Tried antibiotics and established it wasnt bacterial,my blood tests were perfect,one time my white blood count was either low or high and he asked for a repeat the following month and it had settled to being compeltely normal.So therefore he said I had a virus and it would go away itself.This was in december...

Now the lymph nodes are still there and in july I began to get really itchy,my scalp,everywhere,mainly my arms though and occassionally my legs.When I scratch no scratch makrs are left,but it goes very red then dies down.I have had bright bright pink patches on my hand and arm and feeling of ants crawling on my skin.My arms did get hot and burny at one time so I saw the doctor and he thought it could be allergies as I sneeze alot and nearly always have a sore throat(also got slime in back of my throat) so tried tablets and went back yesterday and he diagnosed me with uticaria(sp?).

Now I just want to be clear do you think I should trust my doctor.I have seen him about 5 times,had hundreds of blood tests and seen 3 other doctors,they all agree that its not serious.But I am still a bit concerned,well my mind is at rest but I don't want to forget about it then it ends up being cancer.

In the past 14 months the lymph nodes have not changed size at all and no new lymph nodes have appeared,all the ones that were there last year are still there.Oh I must say also my nodes are no bigger than 1cm in diameter,not hard and mobile(well the one on my neck is quite flat,but when I turn my head to the side you can see it on my neck,to press it is like when you cut a grape in half,not sure if its immobile and it is soft) doctor has felt it and said there is no signs of it being malignant.The one under my jaw moves about and is soft but not as flat as the one on my neck.

No other symptoms are present and these nodes were first discovered after I got a very nasty virus from an air conditioning unit on holiday last july,since then i have been having throat problems and the nodes have remained large.

Do you think I shoudl stop worrying?

I myself feel fine,but the worry is stressing me out.I asked my doctor to tell me straight if he thoguht it was cancerous,he is a lovely lovely doctor and the best in my surgery and he said that I am completely healthy.

Please reply.

Thank you
 WorriedTeen - Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:39 pm

Im so sorry im not trying to bump my thread up but I am making myself ill with worry,I saw the doctor last week so cant go back yet as I am afraid of being taken of the gp list if I keep going back.

Please give me some advice
 WorriedTeen - Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:43 pm

Can anyone give me an answer I have been waiting a long time...

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here