Forum Name: Colon and Rectal Cancers

Question: Nodular Mucosa and Sessile Polyp

sportsmom - Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:49 pm

I am a 46 yr old white female, with a history of HTN, hypercholesterolemia, hyperlipedemia, migraine and mild, bilateral emphysema (I quit smoking 10 years ago). Past surgeries include 2 c-sections, tonsilectomy. Medications include Inderal, Lipitor, Omacor, Niacin, Aspirin, and Hydrochlorothiazide.

My younger sister (age 44) is in her 6th month of remission from Stage IV anal cancer with metastasis to the inguinal lymph nodes and liver. Prior to this, she had a long-standing a history of dysmotility, stricture and constipation.

For the past year, I have had changes in bowel habits presenting in frequent movements of 4-5 per day. Movements are always soft, and either pencil-thin, ribbon-like, or triangular shaped, bulky and light-colored. Movements are always in the morning to early afternoon and associated with eating. Occasionally, there will be oil floating on the surface of the water.

A colonoscopy was done 6 months ago which revealed "nodular mucosa" in the hepatic fexure, transverse, decending and sigmoid colon and one, non-bleeding sessile polyp was removed. Size unknown. The report stated that due to poor prep, visualization of lesions less than 1 mm could be easily missed. Histology reported no abnormalities in tissue samples.

The doctor recommended repeat colonoscopy in 5 years.

I would like to know what is causing these symptoms and whether a repeat colonoscopy should be performed sooner than the doctor's recommendation.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:32 am

Your colonoscopy and biopsy seems to have excluded the presence of cancer. Both these are in a way dependent on the expertise of the doctor performing them. Given, that you have no reason to doubt their expertise I would say you are as safe as we can ever know.

The presence of dymotility, stricture and constipation are all very common and have not been linked to anal cancer.

Changes in bowel habits can be caused by many things which can mostly be excluded by a colonoscopy. This leaves the possibility of functional disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). This is a very common cause (the most common) of motility disorders and is a diagnosis of exclusion.

If however, you should experience any new symptoms or progression of your current symptoms then you should seek immediate medical attention.

|