News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Colon and Rectal Cancers

Question: Nodular Mucosa and Sessile Polyp

sportsmom - Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:49 pm

I am a 46 yr old white female, with a history of HTN, hypercholesterolemia, hyperlipedemia, migraine and mild, bilateral emphysema (I quit smoking 10 years ago). Past surgeries include 2 c-sections, tonsilectomy. Medications include Inderal, Lipitor, Omacor, Niacin, Aspirin, and Hydrochlorothiazide.

My younger sister (age 44) is in her 6th month of remission from Stage IV anal cancer with metastasis to the inguinal lymph nodes and liver. Prior to this, she had a long-standing a history of dysmotility, stricture and constipation.

For the past year, I have had changes in bowel habits presenting in frequent movements of 4-5 per day. Movements are always soft, and either pencil-thin, ribbon-like, or triangular shaped, bulky and light-colored. Movements are always in the morning to early afternoon and associated with eating. Occasionally, there will be oil floating on the surface of the water.

A colonoscopy was done 6 months ago which revealed "nodular mucosa" in the hepatic fexure, transverse, decending and sigmoid colon and one, non-bleeding sessile polyp was removed. Size unknown. The report stated that due to poor prep, visualization of lesions less than 1 mm could be easily missed. Histology reported no abnormalities in tissue samples.

The doctor recommended repeat colonoscopy in 5 years.

I would like to know what is causing these symptoms and whether a repeat colonoscopy should be performed sooner than the doctor's recommendation.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:32 am

User avatar Hello,

Your colonoscopy and biopsy seems to have excluded the presence of cancer. Both these are in a way dependent on the expertise of the doctor performing them. Given, that you have no reason to doubt their expertise I would say you are as safe as we can ever know.

The presence of dymotility, stricture and constipation are all very common and have not been linked to anal cancer.

Changes in bowel habits can be caused by many things which can mostly be excluded by a colonoscopy. This leaves the possibility of functional disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). This is a very common cause (the most common) of motility disorders and is a diagnosis of exclusion.

If however, you should experience any new symptoms or progression of your current symptoms then you should seek immediate medical attention.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here