News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: risks of laser hair removal or drysol?

smoon - Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:58 pm

Hi, I have gotten the hair of my underarms removed by laser hair removal (by a certified technician using IPL), and want to know if laser hair removal in that area can have consequences for the breasts since it's nearby? Similarly I use drysol, and want to know if it could be dangerous/cancer risk to the breasts or nodes there (because it has aluminum etc in it)

Finally, I am considering doing laser hair removal in the bikini area (possibly a full brazilian) -- does that pose a danger to my reproductive system/eggs due to proximity? (i don't know if this last question belongs in another forum)

Thanks
23 year old female
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:54 am

User avatar In both cases I must say that there is no evidence to verify that they would cause cancer, but keep in mind that lasers are new technology. While there has been no known association, there is no way to say for certain. It takes many years for some cancers to develop. Also, it is believed that genomics plays a part - some people are more susceptible to particular cancers than others. One day they may be better able to predict who is predisposed so those people can avoid possible exposures that might increase their risk. Some information about laser use is on the American Cancer Society website http://www.cancer.org
You can search their site for particular types of cancer and substances such as laser and aluminum.

Just know that any new procedure, no matter how good it is, has limited history for evaluation of safety. Most of the consents you sign will indicate there could be unknown factors and you must use at your own risk. Almost all procedures, even those with good track records come with some possible adverse affects and we must gamble each time to some degree. It comes down to personal choice.

The aluminum/cancer connection has never been proven, though the suspicion has been out there for quite a while. The American Cancer Society has issued a statement dispelling rumors that antiperspirants cause cancer.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here