Forum Name: Colon and Rectal Cancers

Question: Extreme anal pain

kandy - Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:30 pm

I'm a female in my mid twenties, with no children.

3 yrs ago, I noticed that passing stool was very difficult, but I never paid much attention to it, because there was no blood, and I didnt know anything about hemorroids.

2 yrs ago, I started to have blood on the sides of my stool or sometimes it would be a flock of blood that would drop in the toilet bowl. And then i started to notice occasional pain when i would use the toilet. I also noticed a lump on my anus.

I have stayed with this occasionally intense pain for all this time, until last may when I went to the doctor for the first time to ask about my vaginal discharge and to do a checkup, and at the same time, I decided to ask him about what i thought was a hemorroid. He said he sees the lump but it's not much to be concerned about. And all my blood tests came back normal.

Over the past month or two, ive been having some excruciating pain, to the point that I scream sometimes! It feels like my anus has gotten tighter and like i'm being cut with a knife! I still sometimes find blood in my stool. It's scary to even go to the bathroom.

By the way, my mother told me that she has a long extra piece of meat hanging from her anus, and her mother has the same.

What should I do, and what could it be? What tests do i need to tell the doctor to run? I don't want my problem to go as far as my mother's..
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:31 am

User avatar Hi Kandy,

There are a few possibilities for your pain. It sounds as if you may have some mild constipation given your difficulty passing stools. This can lead to straining that increases the risk of developing hemorrhoids. These can be external and visible or internal and not visible. They can be quite painful and can bleed.

The other thing that commonly causes pain and bleeding is an anal fissure. This is basically a tear in the lining of the anus that can cause severe pain.

I would recommend you see your regular doctor about this for an evaluation and treatment recommendation.

kandy - Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:44 pm

Thank you Dr.

I saw a family doctor about this a few days ago, because the pain was too excruciating. She examined the anal area and said she can see that I have 2 tears, one at 5 o'clock and one at 10 o'clock. She did some sort of test to see if there's blood, and she said it's POSITIVE. She prescribed Anamantle. I will start using it today.

Is a tear also called a fissure? Also, I read alot of things online about fissures, and about anamantle, and they were connecting themselves with endometriosis and other diseases. If the doctor saw tears, should I stop looking further into this? Also, should I get a sigmoidoscopy? Also, it seems like i read that when the doctors do pap tests and they find inflammation, they can be a cause for my anal problem. (There was inflammation found by a doc 2 yrs ago, and another 5 mths).

Any input is appreciated.
thank you.

kandy

endometriosis

|