Forum Name: Lung Cancer

Question: Blood Tests

lainie - Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:49 pm

I had Lung Cancer and my question is if it has traveled to another area of my body would I have a liver function test or is that for other problems ?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:39 am

User avatar Dear Lainie,

Yes, a blood test to detect liver abnormality resulting from cancer spread can be done but it is non-specific. It can be elevated in other cases as well.

A ultrasuond and/or a ct scan of the abdomen can be helpful as well in detecting cancer spread in the liver.

Other newer imaging techniques include a p.e.t. scan which has a very good sensitivity and specificity in detecting cancer anywhere in the body.

lainie - Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:47 pm

Hi this is lainie again, got the results back on one of my blood tests and the doctor said that my calcium level was 59 and it shouldn't be higher than 37 so now I am going for a ct scan of my abdomen,pelvis,and chest and after that I am going to the oncologist/hematoligist what should I be concerned about that I have cancer again or something else. are there any questions I should be asking? and is this what is causing me the constant pain that I have and the tiredness.

|