Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: is it lymphoma, itchy bump, ingrown? strange diagnosis

studentin - Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:12 am

I am 24 years old female with a question about the lump on my neck. I noticed this bump around 6 months ago because the skin above it constantly itches. I have also been experiencing similar itching around my anus for the last 1(+) years. I don't know if that is relevant..
Ive asked my gynecologist about the itching and she didnt really see any redness, just suggested I take baths with baking soda. I am now living in Germany and visited a doctor here about the bump on my neck. He said it is an ingrown hair and gave me some cream for it. The bump is hard, seems to be getting slowly bigger (although I honestly don't know), and doesnt hurt. In the last month or so it seems to slide from side to side a bit. After the Dr. said it was an ingrown, I felt much better. But on a trip to America I spent a day with my uncle (a radiologist) who seemed to think that the ingrown diagnosis unlikely/ridiculous. He did not suggest that I have cancer, but did suggest that I have it looked at..(unfortunately, I left america again the day after he examined it). At the time, he said it was fixed and was most likely my lymph node -I believe the occipital. Now it seems to move around a bit more.. but I am still a bit concerned.. and the itchiness is annoying. As much as I don't want to get worked up about it, I don't know if its worth going to another doctor who looks at me for 3 minutes, charges me 100 euros, and tells me its an ingrown hair! sorry if this was too long.. thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:08 pm

User avatar Hi Studentin,

It may be that you have a lymph node that has become scarred. Occasionally after a lymph node has become enlarged due to infection it will shrink but not down fully and remains large enough to feel. Typically it is painless and can be moved around some.

When these lymph nodes seem to be getting bigger it is time to find out why. Even though lymphoma occurs it is still relatively uncommon so odds are that this is not lymphoma. However, uncommon things do happen so it is worth having this evaluated. You may need to have a biopsy of the lymph node done. This is a very simple procedure and will give a definitive answer to the cancer question.

My colleague, Dr. Fouad, has written a very good summary of lymph nodes that you may be interested in reading for more information. It can be found here.

|