Forum Name: Brain Tumors

Question: Headache, facial numbnes and drop

GTgoon - Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:02 pm

I posted same question on headache forum but i don't get response...

first I need to explain my situation. im a 24 year old male working in security buisiness where I need to be in first class health. One problem with this is that when I need some other health care I need first to talk to doctor that works in our firm. problem is that he is able do decrease my health rating and I automaticly stay withouth job and medical insurance so I need some advice before I take any step further.

first my physical traits. I am 24 year old male, white, 190 cm tall and 110-115 kilo. in wheight almost top condition ex smoker, quit six months ago, ocasional weekend alcohol drinker and ocasional marihuana user. (two or three times / month) frequent stress, living in semi industrial town. I passed medical exam in january.

ok now for symptoms I have mild Headaches and it is more discomfort than Headache. they are localized on small area on several places on left side of the occipital temporal and parieteal areas. It feal like pain is near head surface and burnink like it is on skin or scull. in a last two days I developed mild numbnes in left side of face and a facial drop but I have history of facial nerve inflamation. pain comes and goes away. there is no pain after I wake up. pain starts when I start daily activities and sometimes ease up when resting, no pain when walking also. facial drop is only noticable when I close both my eyes and it does not make me dificulties when making expresions like smiling. I feal no weakness in extremities nor doo I have Seizures.

Maybe I should mention one detail that happened few moths ago that can be connected with theese symptoms. In abaout four or five months ago I had a wierd symptom that made me stop working out. The thing is that while I was dooing exercises I started to have headace. I neeed to describe situation. I was dooing incline bench press exercise when I felt a sudden sharp pain in back left side where head and neck join. second day pain was more severe and third day it made me completely quit working out. Pain was trigered ONLY by exercise. Later I didnt had any symptoms apart from short ocasional pains such as one that I described above untill 3 days ago when I felt discomfort in described place.

in my family there is no history of malignant deseases that I am aware of but there is rich history of Strokes in family, great grandfather, and grandfather died from Stroke,
one grandmother survived severe Stroke while other survived mild Stroke. I did some bload, and urine tests. My sedmentation was a bit higher than normal 13/30 and that is only thing that was out of referal values ...

I should add that pain is relived when I lie down and it feals like it is 1 - 1, 5 inch in diametar. pain is burning and stinging like several needle`s stinging at once...

coul it be Stroke or tumor?

I really would apriciate if you could give me your opinion

please if I can have opinion I know that you cant tell me nothing withouth tests but I am in dificult situation...
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:40 pm

User avatar Hi GTgoon,

I don't think that your pain is due to a stroke or migraine headache. More likely, I think you may have a pinched nerve in the top of the neck. The nerves that supply the part of the scalp that you are describing come from the top of the neck. It is possible that the initial incident with the exercising may have caused a shift or other trauma to the nerve that is now being aggravated.

Seeing a neurologist may be helpful but seeing your primary care doctor is also a reasonable place to start. If it is a pinched or irritated nerve physical therapy may be of some benefit.

reddog IN GA - Fri May 15, 2009 12:17 pm

I have the same synotons. My right eye lid wont close and the eye is blurry.The doctor told me I have Bell Palsy. I went to the choirpractor a feww hous befor the symptons started. sorry for the typo.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:35 am

User avatar Hi reddog IN GA,
I tend to concur with Dr. Chan Lowe's opinion. However,there is one thing that i fail to understand about your symptoms - the fact that you experience numbness in one half of your face along with the facial weakness. This is rather perplexing, as the facial nerve (seventh cranial nerve) which supplies the facial muscles (muscles of facial expression) is purely a motor nerve.It has no sensory supply to the facial skin. The facial skin is supplied by the divisions of the trigeminal nerve (fifth cranial nerve).I am unable to explain this presentation!

|