Forum Name: Cervical Cancer

Question: Gardasil for 10 year old?

TexasT - Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:36 pm

My daughter is 10 years old and i have a question that i can't seem to find an answer for anywhere. I do not want her to have the vaccine yet because i want to wait for more results from the research they are currently doing. Can you tell me how long after you get the vaccine that it begins to protect you? Does it take a week to start protecting? A month? A year?
Thanks~ [/b]
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:56 pm

User avatar Hi TexasT,

I don't know that that question has been directly answered. With most vaccines it takes about 4-6 weeks to get a good immune response from the IgG antibodies that give lasting immunity. I would not expect this vaccine to be different.

The Gardasil vaccine has been approved for girls aged 9-26. The CDC has a good page summarizing all the available research and recommendations for the vaccine found here for those interested.

The vaccine is very effective. In one study it was 100T effective at preventing cervical cancer. I would recommend your daughter receive the vaccine; however, it is important that you are comfortable with it. She is very unlikely to acquire HPV in the upcoming years and the vaccine can be given then if you choose.

|