News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Lymphoma worries

frogmatt - Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:34 am

Ok, here goes.
I'm a 30 yr old male living in the US but originally from Europe. I'm 6ft 4" and am slightly overweight at 240lbs or so.
Two years ago i had a swelling between the base of my penis and my anus. A lump, It came out of the blue and it swelled to the size of a golf ball. It was extremely painful and made it difficult to walk. Eventually, after two days, it burst emphatically with a lot of brownish and foul-smelling liquid coming out. Since then i've had the same problem in the same area although never as big since.
The real problem/s i have now is that two more have appeared on my inner thigh and they swell up occasionally but never release much liquid. A few of the same currently reside in my left armpit, one which recently swelled until it released more of this foul smelling liquid.
As of yesterday all my lumps seemed dormant until i found one directly below my chin which since has grown and become harder and a lot more painful, to whit, all of the lumps have become slightly active since.

I do not have any medical issues other than this. There is very little history of anything in my family and i have rarely in my life been medicated.

I'm relatively anxious to know if any of you professionals can help me because i don't have insurance and in the US healthcare can be very expensive so i want to make sure that there is a problem not just some over-imaginative and adventurous acne or something.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:49 am

User avatar Hi Frogmatt,

I think it is highly unlikely for this to be a cancer such as lymphoma based on what you are describing. More likely, you are having spontaneous skin infections. This is commonly due to a bacteria known as MRSA (methicillin resistant staph aureus).

This bacteria normally lives on the skin in about 15-30% of people depending on the local prevalence. When the staph aureus becomes more resistant to the antibiotics (hence becoming resistance to methicillin) it also picks up a gene that makes it more able to cause skin abscesses.

I would recommend you see your doctor for an evaluation. Often, antibiotics can help the current infections resolve and lessen further events.

If finances are an issue, there are often clinics in town that can see patients for free or reduced fees based on income. Your local health department can help you find these clinics if needed.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here