Forum Name: Colon and Rectal Cancers

Question: colonoscopy prep & seizures

susieQ1 - Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:47 pm

Blood was found in stool during my physical. I am being sent for colonoscopy but since I have seizures, addisons, hypoglycemia, & auto immune diseases, multiple allergies one of which is magnesium & do take sedation well I am concerned.
I have always passed out from stomach pain & enemas. I am afraid that at 65 yrs old I will not make it thru the prep. If I was in hospital during the prep I would feel more confident but as you know they consider it a minor test but to someone already weak it is a big deal.

Are they any alternatives (other than not have it done)
to this harsh prep? Thanks.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:41 pm

I can certainly understand your reluctance to undergo the type of sedation that might be used with a colonoscopy and I do not know what alternatives there might be. I suspect there could be anesthesia that would not be so hard on you but you could have a greater awareness of the procedure and this is what bothers people the most. As you have indicated your own anxiety about such things, I would suspect this to be the case.

They do have virtual colonoscopy now and no sedation is needed for this. The virtual is not perfect and it shows less detail so it cannot pick up on the very small polyps. In addition, if polyps are found, they cannot be removed on the spot as they are in the traditional test. Therefore, a follow up would be required anyway and you are back at square one. But in your case, it would certainly be better than getting no testing at all. Of course it may or may not be available in your area, but you could inquire about it.

|