Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: PET/CT scan question

breastpain1 - Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:05 pm

I had a PET/Ct scan to see if my invasive breast cancer had spread. My question is about the PET/Ct scan. If the scan was from SKULL BASE to MID THIGH what areas in the head would be covered? Would any abnormalities of the middle ear be seen if there was anything to see. Skull base to me means under my ears but I am not sure.

Please advise what skull base means.

Thanks!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:28 pm

User avatar Hi Breastpain1,

If the scan was just to the base of the skull it is unlikely to pick up anything in the ears. Generally, skull base refers to the point at which the bottom of the skull starts at the neck. The ears would be closer to midskull range.

breastpain1 - Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:20 pm

Hi all--

I just wanted to follow up with my question. I spoke with my U of Michigan ENT and he said that a skull base PET/CT covers just about everything from the the nose down. He said the ears are definitely picked up and all sinuses except the one in the forehead. He said the term skull base is very misleading but in terms of the procedure, most everything is covered--in that front face area and the ears, neck, etc.

Just an FYI for anyone who may wonder...

Molly
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:31 pm

User avatar Thanks for the information. I'm sure it will be helpful to others.

|