News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: PET/CT scan question

breastpain1 - Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:05 pm

I had a PET/Ct scan to see if my invasive breast cancer had spread. My question is about the PET/Ct scan. If the scan was from SKULL BASE to MID THIGH what areas in the head would be covered? Would any abnormalities of the middle ear be seen if there was anything to see. Skull base to me means under my ears but I am not sure.

Please advise what skull base means.

Thanks!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:28 pm

User avatar Hi Breastpain1,

If the scan was just to the base of the skull it is unlikely to pick up anything in the ears. Generally, skull base refers to the point at which the bottom of the skull starts at the neck. The ears would be closer to midskull range.

Best wishes.
 breastpain1 - Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:20 pm

Hi all--

I just wanted to follow up with my question. I spoke with my U of Michigan ENT and he said that a skull base PET/CT covers just about everything from the the nose down. He said the ears are definitely picked up and all sinuses except the one in the forehead. He said the term skull base is very misleading but in terms of the procedure, most everything is covered--in that front face area and the ears, neck, etc.

Just an FYI for anyone who may wonder...

Molly
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:31 pm

User avatar Thanks for the information. I'm sure it will be helpful to others.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here