Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Excess breast tissue

misty222 - Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:27 am

I am Female, 21, current medication - combined contraceptive pill. No past diagnoses / family history.
I have had for as long as I can remember a type of swelling in my armpit. It is quite tender to touch but no more than the rest of my breasts. It is visible when I am wearing vest tops or just in my bra - sort of looks like extra small breast next to my left one. I find this embarrassing and for a while very worrying but it has not come on suddenly and feel I've had it for years. I have since read about heterotopic breast tissue in the armpit - like excess breast tissue which can be present there. Is this likely to be what it is? I have had no children / never been pregnant.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:17 pm

User avatar Hi Misty222,

What you are describing may be accessory breast tissue or possibly a large lipoma (a fat cell tumor that is not cancerous).

If it has been present for a long time and is not changing there is likely no danger from this. However, if it is one of these things and it is bothering you you may want to see a surgeon as they can often be easily removed.

|