News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Excess breast tissue

misty222 - Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:27 am

I am Female, 21, current medication - combined contraceptive pill. No past diagnoses / family history.
I have had for as long as I can remember a type of swelling in my armpit. It is quite tender to touch but no more than the rest of my breasts. It is visible when I am wearing vest tops or just in my bra - sort of looks like extra small breast next to my left one. I find this embarrassing and for a while very worrying but it has not come on suddenly and feel I've had it for years. I have since read about heterotopic breast tissue in the armpit - like excess breast tissue which can be present there. Is this likely to be what it is? I have had no children / never been pregnant.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:17 pm

User avatar Hi Misty222,

What you are describing may be accessory breast tissue or possibly a large lipoma (a fat cell tumor that is not cancerous).

If it has been present for a long time and is not changing there is likely no danger from this. However, if it is one of these things and it is bothering you you may want to see a surgeon as they can often be easily removed.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here