Forum Name: Leukemia

Question: Worried about unusual symptoms in 14 month old child

labtechmom - Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:11 pm

I am a bit worried about my 14 month old son. Here is his history. Recurrent and very resistant ear infections since 8 weeks old. To the point he received 100 mg/kg/day of amoxil and the infection would come back 24-48 hours after 10 day course of treatment. Tubes put in around 4 month of age. (At this point, he had 5 infections within 2 months) Since then, 2 ear infections (one curred with drops and second one curred with drops + 2 course of high dose amoxil). Pneumonias and bronchiolitis X 3. Sinusitis X2 Seems in a constant state of "cold".

In June, started to have recurrent MOUTH bleeds without injury.

In July, started waking up in morning with bluish color arourd lips and blue hands. Comes back to normal after a few hours.

In September, starting waking up at nigth just screaming and sweaty. I actually had to bath him in the middle of the night. Also, I've noticed loss of appetite most of the time.

He his vary pale. Blood work starting to show beginning of anemia.

Now, my problem is that I have had a couple of consultations with our doctor who says everything is fine (babies have weak immune system, chidren can get blue lips and hands if they cry to much, teething can cause a bit of bleeding, at some point there is a normal phase of appetite loss...) He doesn`t seem to realise that my son is NOT crying when bluish lips and the bleeding is NOT a BIT and my previous chilren did not have a "normal phase of appetite loss" until 18 months old - and none of them actually lost weight, like I suspect he did.

My son has gone for 3 CBC`s. Monocytes and basophils elevated and young cells (myelocytes: 1%) in circulation. Each count, they go higher and higher (Now monocytes: 1.3 and basophils: 0.2) WBC is also going higher but they are still in the normal range. (Now at 17)

Am-I allowed to worry about him or am-I going nuts? Sometimes, I wonder. I know that there is a form of rare leukemia in children that is hard to diagnose. Could it be JMML? What tests do you suggest? Could I received more info on it - symptoms...?

Thank-you so much for your time
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:01 am

User avatar As a mom, of course you are allowed to worry. I also believe in mother's intuition so if something does not "feel right to you, follow your instinct. It never hurts to get a second opinion. Find another pediatrician, explain all the symptoms and history and see what kind of workup they suggest. Sometimes it helps to go through a teaching hospital or children's hospital if you have one in your area.

Doctors are human and as such sometimes make judgment errors. Yours may be right on the money, but for your own peace of mind, I would just see if another doctor is in agreement. Children do sometimes have strange symptoms that don't amount to anything serious. You know your child better than anyone else and you are entitled to pursue the course of action you feel is in his and your best interest.

|