Forum Name: Colon and Rectal Cancers

Question: blood in toilet and on paper

nikeman - Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:45 pm

Ok,

I have had this problem for a long time now, WAY to long probably.. My problem is that I do not have health insurance and can not afford it right now. Anyway, I seem to go through periods where when I go to the bathroom I see a lot of blood in the toilet and when I wipe it seems to be mainly blood on the paper. When I am doing the deed it feels like there is a cut on my rectum or something that just gets opened while going. I can go for weeks with no pain or blood but then all of a sudden it starts back up again. I have had a hemoroid, or atleast I think it was because it was a swollen vein looking thing on my rectum and it hurt pretty bad for a week or 2 but has since gone down. I do not ever see blood in my underwear just in the toilet and on the paper. I am a 23 year old male and I am in pretty good health with no major medical problems running in the family with the exception of a couple heart attacks which is unrelated.

I also want to add that the last couple times I used the bathroom the poop was REALLY big, but this was after I was forced to hold it in for a long period of time which might have something to do with that. It also caused more blood then normal... Do I have a cause for major concern here? I am currently searching for good health insurance that I can afford so I can get a check up..
 nikeman - Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:56 pm

i do not see a way to edit this and I want to add more. This may not be important but the first time i ever saw blood in the toilet it just so happened to be after I had ate a lot of red jello and I thought that that was what it was, I guess that describes the color of the blood.. Also, I do not feel any pain or anything like that other then the opening of a cut feeling i get while using the bathroom... No internal paid and no other physical problems...
 nikeman - Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:28 am

why no replies to this yet??
 nikeman - Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:08 pm

its been a month now with no reply.. I am guessing either no one knows the answer or no one cares to help me out? If this is considered a bump then please just ban me because i seem to be talking to myself anyway..
 Janous - Wed May 06, 2009 8:32 am

You might have a hemroid on the inside of your rectum and you are just rubbing it with hard feces..but i am not a doctor just a guess
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:33 am

User avatar Hi nikeman,
Your description fits best with a diagnosis of bleeding from hemorrhoids (which is usually bright red, painless and occurs at the end of defecation).

It is possible that you also may have an associated chronic anal fissure (acute anal fissures are very painful and usually cause streaking of the stool with blood).

I do not know your age. With advancing age (>35 years), ano-rectal malignancies must be excluded.
 Louisianagirl - Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:30 pm

I have the same problem. When I wipe I have blood on the toilet paper. But it is not all the time. I am thinking I need to got to a doctor, but don't know what kind of doctor to go to can you please help me with this?

Thanks in advance.....
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:32 am

You have not mentioned about any pain. Therefore, i assume that it is painless.Also, you don't mention bleeding in drops or a "splash in the pan".

All this lends support to a possible diagnosis of a chronic anal fissure. This could bleed a little every now and then or can simply cause a "streak" of blood on the stool.
However, although atypical, hemorrhoids can't be entirely ruled out.

You may first consult your regular family doctor who will be able to manage these conditions and then refer you (if needed) to a surgeon.

|