Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: enlarged lymph node question

skysmama - Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:30 pm

I am a 33yo F with no past medical conditions. I recently had had what I think is a pretty bad sinus infection pain around cheeks, nose, forehead and some pressure behind/around ears (although when I went to the Doctor recently the NP said my nose didn't look that bad). I have one swollen lymph node (that I know of). I am not sure how long it has been there. I noticed it about 3weeks to a month ago. She felt the lymph node and said that she didn't think it was anything serious. She said that it moves, feels rubbery etc. gave me allegra and 7 days of Augmentin. She told me to check it every week for a month and come back to see her then. I am very worried about this. It is on the left side of my neck by that big neck muscle (but about 3 inches (maybe) under my ear. I can't tell if it is getting bigger or smaller. It feels bigger when I lay down and not as big when I am standing up. It is approximately1cm long and maybe .5 cm wide . It seems "taller" in the middle Since I have started taking the medicine I have had more drainage/coughing in my throat. I am worried about Lymphoma. I have not had any other symptoms,but I keep reading these things about people finding out they have stage 3 and 4 with no symptoms and it has spread all over their body. How does she know that it is not something serious? Would it feel different or be larger (how large are lymph nodes that people have who have Lymphoma)? I am trying not to worry about it or mess with it.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:32 am

User avatar Hi Skysmama,

I would tend to agree with your NP that this is most likely due to an infection. Cancerous lymph nodes tend to be hard and immobile.

My colleague, Dr. Fouad, has written a very good article on lymph nodes that can be found here.

I think you'll find this article very helpful.

|