News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Skin Cancer

Question: Melanoma Pictures

imissmom - Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:42 am

I am a 40/F No major medical conditions. 2 routine adolescent surgeries. No family history of cancer. I have several odd looking moles on my shoulders. I've had them forever and they haven't changed but I'd like to see some pictures of "dangerous moles" to ease my mind. I can't seem to find them for myself. Thanks!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:04 pm

User avatar Hi Imissmom,

I don't have any pictures to show you but I can tell you what we look for when determining if a mole is concerning.

A good way to remember these characteristics is using the ABCDE mnemonic.

A=asymmetry. A mole that is different on one side than the other is more concerning.

B=Borders. A mole with irregular borders rather than smooth borders is more concerning.

C=Color. A mole with multiple colors is more concerning than one with a uniform color.

D=diameter. A mole greater than 6mm is more concerning.

E=elevation or evolution. A mole that is raised is more concerning. A mole that is changing is more concerning.

The more of these characteristics that a mole possess the more concerning it is for being melanoma.

Best wishes.
 imissmom - Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:05 pm

Dear Dr. Lowe,
Thanks for the info! I have come across this guide before, so pictures would be more helpful, of course.

The 2 moles I'm concerned about are on my shoulder & lower right shin.

The latter is about 6 mm and is slightly raised, but has none of the other red flag characteristics. I'm worried because I haven't always had it...just in the last 10 yrs. or so.

The one on my shoulder is 3-4 mm, slighly irregular in both symentry & border, brown in color except for 1 tiny light brown bump that is slightly raised, but it isn't changing and is not new.

Both areas have been sunburned multiple times.

Any other info you can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks again!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here