Forum Name: Ovarian Cancer

Question: Ovarian Cyst on Right Ovary observed during pregnancy

mritul - Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:01 pm

I am 30 years old and 19 weeks pregnant. During my regular ultrasound (8th week os pregnancy), a cyst was observed on my right ovary. It was 8cm then. Now it has grown upto 10.4cm. The doctors describes it as "large cystic mass in right aadnexa which is sepated and continues to solid area". It has two solid masses of 2cm and 1.5cm in dia. I have been to a gynecological oncologist who suggests to remove it as soon as possible and is unable to say whether it is malign or not. He plans to perform a laparotomy during my 22nd week under general anesthesia. I and still not sure whether to go on with the surgery or wait until the term of my pregnancy. I fear harm to the baby I want so much. Please advice.
I do not have any history of cancer in my family and never had any surgery before and have never been under and kind of medication.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:53 pm

User avatar Hi Mritul,

This is a difficult situation. There is a good chance that the mass is a simple ovarian cyst that is getting larger. However, there is also a chance that it may be a cancerous mass.

It is important that you discuss with your gyn. oncologist all of the risks and benefits of doing the surgery now and of doing it after the baby is born. You will also want to discuss all the risks of anesthesia so that you are fully aware of all the issues of both doing the surgery now and waiting. This way you can make an informed decision.

Sorry I can't really give you much advise on this one. It is a personal decision.

|