Forum Name: Colon and Rectal Cancers

Question: colon cancer

dulany - Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:13 pm

I'm actually in here to ask a question about my aunt. She is in her forties and has colon cancer (which I just got out of her). I'm suspecting she has had it for over a year. She is going untreated. I know that her recent white count was 42,000. What does this mean in general terms as far as stage, expected survival rate untreated? I do understand the information is vague!
Thank you for answering such a vague question!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:26 pm

User avatar Hi Dulany,

Unfortunately, in colon cancer (and most cancers) just a white count alone is really not enough to be able to give any information about staging or prognosis.

Staging is often based on how many lymph nodes are involved in the cancer, where and how far the cancer has spread to. Prognosis is generally related to staging with higher stages having worse prognoses.

Sorry I can't be of more help to you in this.

|