News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Question about ultrasound (spleen, liver and pelvis)

labtechmom - Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:39 pm

Hi, I am a 32y old healthy female. Only history: appedix removal in 1984, 8 idiopathic miscarriages from 2000-2004, 2 normal pregancies, gallblader removal in 2006 (right after childbirth).

My recent symptoms: Tiredness, Itchy all over but worse in lower legs and face (more specifically along jawline). Feeling of fullness in groin area for about 9 weeks. Same feeling in armpits for about 4 weeks and 3 weeks ago acute pain on upper left abdomen witch made me call my doctor. Since then, early satiety and very nausiated.

My doctor did full examination plus lab work and x-ray + abdominal/pelvic ultrasound.

Chest X-ray: Normal

Blood work: ESR: Normal, CBC: Normal WBC, RBC and platelet. Hgb, MCV low. Smear review: presence of microcytes and megathrombocytes. Presence of few activated cells. TSH: Normal Renal profile: Normal Liver profile: ALP slightly elevated and LDH moderatly elevated.

Ultrasound: (Only writting abnormal findings)

Liver: Diffusely hyperechoic
Pancreas: Increased (diffusely)
Spleen: Length: 13.6 cm Width: 5.2 cm Depth: 11.0 cm Volume: 406.9 cc

Pelvis: Fluid in rigth adnexa and +++ follicles on left ovary.

My question is: Do I have "splenomegaly"? What, in your opinion, do you think I have based on symptoms and results?

Sorry but another question in mind is that my son is being followed by hemato-oncologist and one of the possibility is that he might have lymphoma. What are the chances we have the same thing. Could it be possible for a mother to give the disease to her unborn child if process already started??

My next app't is in a month.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:34 pm

User avatar Hi Labtechmom,

Based on these ultrasound measurements I would say your spleen is very mildly enlarged. Many consider a spleen that measures greater than 11 cm at it's widest point to be enlarged and greater than 20 cm to be severely enlarged.

Your symptoms sound like you may have a diffuse infection such as can occur with ebstein barr virus (mononucleosis). Your symptoms do not sound particularly concerning for lymphoma.

Regarding your son, lymphoma is not a disease that would be passed on to the unborn child during pregnancy.

Follow up with your doctor is important.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here