Forum Name: Anal Cancer

Question: Anal odor

diane365 - Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:43 am

55 yr old female, hysterectomy, abdominal hernias that are unrepaired but don't bother me, 60 lbs. overweight, high blood pressure, taking Cozaar 50 mg. daily plus aspirin; pustular psoriasis on feet and hands. I just don't want to discuss this problem with anyone in person: I have a slight anal leakage, or "chicken tracks" in undewear. The worst part is that when I eat anything with sugar, I get a foul, putrid odor emitting from anus that even my daughter smells if she walks in on me in bathroom. Went to gastroentrologist, he did not recommend colonoscopy due to my sleep apnea, and i was reluctant due to hernias. I mentioned to him the putrid odor but he didn't say anything. Now I have connected it to when I eat sugar. Why does sugar do this?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:54 pm

I understand your frustration here and while it is an embarrassing thing to talk about, there are some treatments so you really should see a doctor - perhaps a gastroenterologist. You would be surprised how common this really is. Older people and women tend to be more commonly afflicted with it.

Since you have identified one major trigger - sugar - it would be wise to avoid this. Some people find that artificial sweeteners have this effect so it would be wise not to just replace sugar with other sweeteners. It would be better to eliminate the sugar as much as possible.

There are treatments to help so please follow up with a doctor who can evaluate the cause and help you find a suitable treatment. There is an excellent chance your quality of life will be improved.

You haven't mentioned if you have constipation. Surprisingly enough this condition can be part of the problem. Stool becomes impacted and loose stool leaks around it. So, if this is a problem for you, it would also be wise to tackle that issue.

Good luck with this, but know you don't have to live with it untreated.

|