News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Anal Cancer

Question: Anal odor

diane365 - Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:43 am

55 yr old female, hysterectomy, abdominal hernias that are unrepaired but don't bother me, 60 lbs. overweight, high blood pressure, taking Cozaar 50 mg. daily plus aspirin; pustular psoriasis on feet and hands. I just don't want to discuss this problem with anyone in person: I have a slight anal leakage, or "chicken tracks" in undewear. The worst part is that when I eat anything with sugar, I get a foul, putrid odor emitting from anus that even my daughter smells if she walks in on me in bathroom. Went to gastroentrologist, he did not recommend colonoscopy due to my sleep apnea, and i was reluctant due to hernias. I mentioned to him the putrid odor but he didn't say anything. Now I have connected it to when I eat sugar. Why does sugar do this?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:54 pm

User avatar Hello,
I understand your frustration here and while it is an embarrassing thing to talk about, there are some treatments so you really should see a doctor - perhaps a gastroenterologist. You would be surprised how common this really is. Older people and women tend to be more commonly afflicted with it.

Since you have identified one major trigger - sugar - it would be wise to avoid this. Some people find that artificial sweeteners have this effect so it would be wise not to just replace sugar with other sweeteners. It would be better to eliminate the sugar as much as possible.

There are treatments to help so please follow up with a doctor who can evaluate the cause and help you find a suitable treatment. There is an excellent chance your quality of life will be improved.

You haven't mentioned if you have constipation. Surprisingly enough this condition can be part of the problem. Stool becomes impacted and loose stool leaks around it. So, if this is a problem for you, it would also be wise to tackle that issue.

Good luck with this, but know you don't have to live with it untreated.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here