Forum Name: Skin Cancer

Question: Diagnosed with Spitz Nevi

neala - Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:23 pm

I am a 28yr old female who was just diagnosed with a spitz nevi that was removed 2 weeks ago by my dermatologist. When my dermatologist told me of the diagnosis he was very unsure and said at least we got it all anyway...just in case.

I would not be worried about the diagnosis, but I have been feeling ill for the past year and a half. I have been having intermittent deep chest pains and been very fatigued. I had also noticed around the same time that I have an enlarged lymph node on my neck. My doctor is sending me to a specialist to have a look at the lymph node.

Should I be getting a second opinion on the spitz nevi diagnosis? I hear it is very hard to determine melanoma from spitz nevi. The mole that was removed was flat, dark, with light brown around the edges (almost like bleeding into my good skin) and it had a light brown spot in the middle.

Thanks so much.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:36 pm

User avatar Hi Neala,

Your description does fit that of a Spitz nevus. You mention that the mole was removed. Typically, when a mole is removed it is sent to a pathologist for analysis to definitively determine what the mole was. If it was melanoma it would be picked up this way.

Following up about the lymph node will be important.

|