News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lung Cancer

Question: Mets to Lungs

JTaylor - Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:42 pm

I am female, 63, and had invasive ductual cancer 4 years ago with mastectomy of left breast and 24 lymph nodes removed (all negative). Elected for no further treatment or medications. I was just diagnosed through a CT scan of the chest (due to shortness of breath) as having mets to both lungs, spleen and liver. Since I took no chemo, I've dealth with a family doctor only. The Radiology report: 6 pulmonary nodules present bilaterally. Largest in right apex, 3.1x3 cm diameter. Largest on left is adjacent to mediastinum, measuring 2.1 cm diameter. Bulky subcarinal adenopathy present 4.7 x 2.9 cm. Three small hypodense lesions are in spleen (largest 6 mm) and 1 lesion in liver. I do not want biopsy or treatment. Question: IF I were to take this info to an Onc, could they give me further info, such as timeframe to live? It is difficult to get to appointments, which is why I don't want to go, yet if my family can know anything further just from the info above, it would possibly be helpful. Thank you!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:44 pm

User avatar Hi JTaylor,

Seeing an oncologist is very likely to give you some good information. The oncologist can review with you the prognostic information, treatment options and make sure that you have all the information you need to decide if you want treatment, no treatment or somewhere in the middle. Even if you are not wanting treatment I do think it is worthwhile to see the oncologist.

Your doctor may be able to get you an appointment with the oncologist sooner.

Best wishes.
 JTaylor - Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:54 pm

Dr. Lowe - Thank you for your comments. I know that I definitely do not want treatment. It is very difficult for me to leave home. The family doctor told me I have anywhere from a couple of months to a year. I am guessing 6 months at the most. Without having a biopsy and from the info I posted only, can you give me any further info? If I actually made it to an Onc's office, what else could they tell me - or is this report possibly all there is to know. Any info you can add would help me. Again thank you so much.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here