News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: high lymphocytes, low Neutrophils and high Eosinophile

Lesly1 - Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:50 pm

I am a 37 year old male. I recently had a CBC after complaining of a one-off pain in my neck/chest region to my doctor and she felt a blood test should be done. A few of the CBC results were out of range and I am really concerned and I would like to know the significance of the numbers. I've been asked to come back 4 weeks after the initial test to have a repeat test but am going beserk just waiting to redo the test as I fear this might be non-Hodgkin's lymphoma from all I read so far.

On the CBC test the 3 items out of range are as follows:

Neutrophils - Low 2 (3.5 - 7.5)
Lymphocytes - High 5.3 (1.5 - 4)
Eosinophile - High 0.9 (0.04 -0.4)

I must add that I'm usually a very fit and active guy, never going to see the doctor or hospital for minor stuffs however I was quite sick with flu recently which only began to get better around the 3rd week of September 2007 and I had the CBC test done around middle October 2007. I am hoping the flu to be the explanation of the abnormal range of my CBC but I am really worried.

I also must add that I have a little lump the size of half a coin just on the crevix between my neck and ear. The little lump moves about when you put your finger on it. As far as I can remember, I've had this little lump for as long as 4 years and never thought nothing of it as it not painfull at all and I thought it was just part of my head make-up.

I cant say i'm a guy that eats alot so cant really say i've lost appetite. I also don't sweat at nite but I don't sleep well. I manage just about 4 or 5 hours sleep every night as I am self employed and tend to work late into the morning.

I would be grateful for any professional input
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:54 pm

User avatar Hi Lesly1,

Most commonly abnormalities such as these on a CBC are due to a viral infection that can cause the white blood cells to shift to more lymphocytes and less neutrophils to help fight the virus. The eosinophil count is actually not that high.

The lump you are feeling may be a lymph node associated with the infection.

You may want to have the CBC repeated in several weeks to see if the abnormalities have resolved. Alternatively, if your doctor believes this is from a virus there may not need to be a repeat done.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here