News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Hard swollen lymph node/breast lump

kkb5 - Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:19 pm

Hello--

I am a 24 yr. old female and I have had what I'm assuming is a swollen lymph node under my jawbone, directly beneath the right ear for about a week. It is hard to the touch and about 1-2 inches long and about 1 inch wide. It doesn't stick out much, but my neck is stiff and sore, especially in the morning and at the end of the day. I guess I would say that it moves very little if I push on either side, but it makes it sore and hurts to move it.
My left side is slightly swollen in the same place, but not anywhere near the size of my right side. I've had very slight symptoms of a cold (little stuffiness, very tired, some dizziness/disorientation and headaches almost daily). Could this be something malignant or should I just keep an eye on it? I don't have insurance until the end of next month, so I could go to the doctor then....
Also, I just noticed today a small nodule on my right breast that looks like a pimple to me. It is sensitive and bright red. Could this be related to my other issue?
I have a history of breast, lung, and uterine cancer in my family. I've had my tonsils out and a UTI surgery when I was younger. I am currently on Wellbutrin, but have never had any problems. I'm freaking myself out thinking this is cancer--please help me!! Thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:33 pm

User avatar Hi Kkb5,

Most likely, the lump under your jaw is an inflamed lymph node from an infection. The lymph nodes in this area frequently will become enlarged when fighting off an infection such as a cold.

The area on your breast is likely not related. This may simply be an inflamed skin pore.

I think the chances of cancer are very low based on this description.

If both these issues do not improve in the next few days I would recommend you see your doctor for an evaluation.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here