News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Carcinoid Tumor

Question: Chemoembolisation

jlarder - Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:10 am

My wife aged 76 With Carcinoid Syndrome has recently had a chemembolisation on tumors on her Liver.She developed an infection(Peritinitus) and was in intensive care for 14 days, she is now out on an ordinary hospital ward. She has had an external drain from the chemical destroyed part of her liver draining bile for the last 3 weeks, this bile now appears to have change to an emulsified tissue, I wondered if tis was normal and all in line for recovery. Very grateful for any relevant information.

Thanks John Larder
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:31 am

User avatar Hi John,

My experience with these types of drains is limited so please keep this in mind when reading this. From the few patients I have had with a bile drain the fluid keeps its dark green liquid look.

If it is looking more emulsified it may be due to some lipids in the bile or some debris from the embolization. Unfortunately I really can't give you a good explanation for this.

My best advise would be to talk with her doctor about this.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here