Forum Name: Colon and Rectal Cancers

Question: Narrow stools

kinko - Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:10 pm

What do you think is causing my narrow stools? I had a blood test done recently, and they came back normal. I am eating a lot every day, and yet my stool is always narrow, and it is hard for me to believe that all of that food ends up in such a small amount of waste. previously, even when I ate normally, my stool was always at least the size of a bannana, and maybe even bigger, but I have not had those for a while. I do feel occasional abdominal pains, but they are always in the upper left abdomen. I am still regular. Anyway, what is causing my recent narrow stools, and how could I "fix" this?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:29 pm

Do you have constipation? Do you need to strain during passing of stools? A change in bowel habits may be sparked by a change in eating habits. If I understood you correctly your concern is that your stools have become thinner not less in quantity. Thin stools could be a concern some times especially as Dr. Yasser mentioned when accompanied by warning symptoms. Diseases causing obstruction to the normal flow of stool in the rectum can lead to thin stools. Of major concern is cancer however, other causes could be large hemorroids or benign polyps.
 kinko - Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:29 pm

I am not constipated. Actually, the last time I recall that I was constipated was about 10 years ago. I have bowel movements every day. I am not quite sure if my stool is less in quantity or not, but I have no trouble discharging waste and every time I feel that my bowels are completely empty. I am looking for a quick fix, and I don't think it's cancer. I experience no bleeding, the pain is only occasional(limited to just one spot), and I do not feel excessively tired. There is one change in my diet, I eat less sweets and junk food, just for they sake of trying to be healthy. Actually, I eat close to none, because I didn't eat that much junk food to begin with. I counter that by eating bannanas, and carrots for snacks, and consuming larger meals. Could this change in diet cause my narrow stools, or do you think it is something else, and if it is a benign polyp, will it go away?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:12 pm

User avatar Yes that is considered a diet change. However, it all depends on how significant the change in your stools really is. If it were a polyp it wont go away by itself. Unfortunately there is no quick fix without knowing the cause. Why not get it checked out?
 kinko - Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:15 pm

I am afraid my family is a bit short on money, and it will be difficult for me to get anything checked out. I will try to go back to my original diet and see what happens.. if I experience no change, then I might have it checked out.

|