News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Cervical Cancer

Question: Is the a sign of cervical cancer?

mimi81 - Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:46 am

I am a 26 year old female & have only one child. I haven't had any sexual intercourse for over a year & haven't had a papsmear in over 4 years. As a young lady, my menstruation has been irregular, it would only occur every 6 months and usually lasts about 5 days to a week. After I gave birth to my 4year old, my menstruation has changed dramatically. It would occur about every 2 months & lasts about 2-3 weeks sometimes a whole month. For the past months, my menstruation has occured every month, lasts about 2 weeks & then 2 weeks later occur again for another 2 weeks. I haven't been seen by a doctor since the day I gave birth to my daughter. Please help. Is this a sign of cervical cancer?
 Sandy Tracy RN - Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:13 am

User avatar Hello Mimi81,

There can be many reasons for irregular periods. I encourage you to make an appointment with your doctor. A pelvic exam should be performed every year.

Early cervical cancer usually produces no signs or symptoms. Irregular bleeding is a sign of cervical cancer, but it also is a sign of other issues. Since your period has always been irregular there may be a medical reason for this.

I encourage you to find an OBGYN that you are comfortable with so you can discuss these issues.
There are alot of young people that are hesitant to get proper care because of fear or embarassment. Do not let these issues stand in the way of taking care of yourself.

Good Luck and let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Sandy RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here