News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: Fat cell tumors?

fairywings1980 - Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:43 pm

27 yr old female Asthma, migraines, OCD, Anxiety, over weight
1 surgery- I have had my tubes tied
both paternal grandparents died from cancer. Heart problems, Diabetes, and cancer in maternal great grandparents.
currently taking quvar and albuterol inhalers.

seems serious or seems like fatty tumors?

first of all i understand that you can not diagnose...but i would like a opinion. i am a mother of 2 and i am depressing myself everyday about this.

I noticed a small pea size lump on right side of my mid back about 4 years ago. I paid no mind. even after getting a couple more within the next yr or so I paid no mind. I was aware of fatty tumors from the internet and obgyn (of course no expertise I am aware of said it was fatty lumps at that time). since I have had my daughter 2 yrs ago I have had more on my back. I have counted at least 9 on my back, 1 on inside of left wrist, and 1 on outside of left wrist. Tonite I have noticed when I went to Itch my front side of torso, I have a small pea size lump on my rib cage and 1 on the other rib cage. I also now have a small lump as well on the inside of my upper left thigh. most of these lumps are tender especially on back and rib cage if I keep touching them. my wrist and thigh does not bother me. I have noticed though lately that my back is more achy that normal. but I don't know if fatty tumors can cause achyness or I am just overweight. (5'6 225lbs). I don't know how to explain these lumps other than the one on my wrist I can pick up and move, the one on my thigh I cant tell because I am too beefy there, the ones on my back are tender at times and some are not perfect pea shape, some have slightly grown over past couple yrs as well...but none bigger than a dime. the ones on my back actually seem misshaped. I don't think they are hard like bones, but they are firm. I have NO lumps on breasts or arms. I am not all that active and have a poor diet.

now...I have OCD. I have the obsessional part, which means I will get thoughts in my head for no reason, which also means I fret on death continuoulsy untill reassured. with all these bumps coming...I am so scared of cancer, but I have been told because I am over weight that may be reason for lumps. I know I am overweight, but many people in my family are but have no lumps. I have made a doctor appt for 2 weeks from now, but I would love some input now if possible. good or bad. thank you!!!!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:58 pm

User avatar Hi Fairywings1980,

It is very possible that the lumps you are feeling are lipomas (non-cancerous fat cell tumors). There are a few other possibilities including fibromas.

I would recommend you have your doctor evaluate these when you are in next. Generally, lipomas don't cause achiness so I am presuming that your achiness is from something else, possibly a viral infection.

Best wishes.
 fairywings1980 - Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:26 pm

thank you very much for your imput. I appreciate it so much. I will definetly post in here when i have spoken to my doctor.

may i ask what other things it could be rather than
fat tumors
or fibroma.

i would like to read up on these. thank you again.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here