News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Swollen nodes for a few years

gizmogizmo - Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:10 pm

Dear Dr,

I am a 24 year old female with no relevent medical history, on no medications. About 3 years ago I discovered very swollen lymph nodes in my groin area. About 3/4 were present on both sides, they felt firm/rubbery and they were not sore.They were more marked on the right, where one particularly large node was present (about5x10 mm). I went to see a doctor who made me fell a little silly, told me I had 'shotty' glands and to stop worrying. He suggested that they were associated with shaving/waxing. I have stopped either of these, with no difference.

Since then, the nodes have persisted, if anything are now a little larger and seem to be associated with a general ache. I have a few smaller rubbery glands in my neck that have cropped up more recently.

Other more non-descript things I feel every so often included sometimes painful sex. As well, sometimes a severe, sharp pain shooting up through by vagina/anus, lasts seconds(no constipation). This pain can be so severe that I jump involuntarily if I'm sitting, but it happens only say once every few weeks, that I often forget about it. Very irregular periods. Random itchiness of my skin, every so often.

About 2 years ago I suffered terrible night sweats, every night for a few months.

Sorry about the collection of symptoms, but I feel a bit stupid going back to my GP. I watched him subtly write 'cancer phobic' into his notes, so I'm worried that will taint his, or any other doctor in the practices opinion!

But saying that, I am really worried that I could have lymphoma or something similar! Please help as soon as you can.

Many thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:45 am

User avatar HI Gizmogizmo,

I think cancer is pretty unlikely. A cancer presenting with swollen lymph nodes would be very unlikely to remain asymptomatic for several years.

Possible causes include an infection with a bacteria called bartonella (cat scratch fever) or possibly an infection with a fungus such as coccidiodes immitis (valley fever). I think a fungal infection is less likely. Other things to consider would be conditions such as histiocytosis.

If you search the web for histiocytosis you'll find a lot of concerning and severe symptoms. This would not be the type of histiocytosis present for you. There are actually several types of this condition ranging from mild to severe.

I would also suggest testing for STD's if there is any possibility of this.

In cases such as this sometimes it is necessary to do a biopsy of one of the lymph nodes to find out what is causing the persistent swelling. Now that you are having some discomfort from them this may be a reasonable thing to do. A biopsy is a simple procedure.

Follow up with your doctor is important. I suspect everyone with swollen lymph nodes is at least a little concerned about cancer so I wouldn't be too concerned about this thought. Just explain your symptoms to your doctor and express your concerns.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here