Forum Name: Ovarian Cancer

Question: COMPLEX Ovrain cyst

capricekid - Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:07 am

Hello i am age 45. I went to the ER Two weeks ago with lower back pain and pelvic area pain. Kinda dull but pretty constant. It felt like pressure in my pelvic area. They found a large 4cm septated complex cyst in right ovary with mildly complex free fluid in pelvic area. I got a CT scan of my abdoman and pelvic. It showed a 2.5CM Cyst right adenxal a small amount of free fluid is identified. no pelvic or inguinal lymphadenopathy was seen. All organs were normal with no obstructions thickening or inflamations seen. Lung base was unremarkable as well. I had a US also a transvaginal US. It said the cyst was 4CM not 2,5 like on the CAT SCAN? It showed a Complex cyst with septation and mildy complex fluid in my pelvic area that may be of hemorrhage or debris. I had two CBCS done all were perfect.

My question
I am still having back pain and bloating. I do not have the pain in my pevlic area any longer but the back pain and the bloating continues with a bit of heaviness in my belly. I went to the GYN and he wants to wait 4 weeks to see if the cyst resolves on its own. My question is why wait that long? I am afraid of ovarian cancer but was told that due to my age and the fact i am still getting my period that it is highly unlikly that it would be canerous. It does not run in my family at all. The doctor also said the fact that my CT SCAN AND US showed all else to be normal except the cyst that if it were anything it has not spread. He said that the fluid was just due to the Cyst Rupturing. I am still very worried and am tired of feeling uncomfortable like this.
Does the fact that the CBC came back perfect point to this cyst not being cancerous? Doc said my blood test would come back with abnormal levels if indeed there were cancer in my body. Is this true?
Am i a worrying for nothing? I just thought that maybe it should be taken out. I am just very worried. Besides the lower back pain and the heaviness i feel fine. I do have a lot of gas however i have also been on the gasy side. I have energy but the pain is getting to me.

Thanks so much for your help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:40 pm

User avatar Hi Lizzy,

Your description is consistent with a non-cancerous ovarian cyst but I cannot be 100% sure. Often, when cysts are found like this it is recommended that the patient use oral contraceptives to "take over" hormone control for 6 months or so. Often during this time the cyst will shrink or completely go away.

In your case, if there is concern the ultrasound can be repeated in 4-6 weeks to see if the cyst is getting bigger or smaller. If it is getting bigger a biopsy can be done to find out for sure what is going on.

capricekid - Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:21 pm

Hello i had an MRI of the pelvic area as well as a follow up ultra sound. All cam out fine. The cyst was gone so that was a big releif. The lesson i learnt from all of this was NEVER think the worst. Stay on top of your own health issues but remain calm. This message board gave me so much support. Thank You

|