News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lung Cancer

Question: Results of Blood test

lainie - Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:56 pm

Hi this is lainie again, got the results of part of my blood test, it says that my calcium level is 59 and the doctor told me that it shouldn't be higher than 37, what does that mean exactly? I have an appointment with the oncologist and for a CT Scan of my chest, abdomen, and pelvis. What should I be concerned about more that I may have cancer again or is there other things I should worry about? and what questions should I be asking? Is this what may be causing my pain or could this be just one of the reasons? And does this mean that I have Pulmonary Hypertrophic OsteoArthro Pathy, Fibromyalgia and this or could this be what causes the pain? I know that I am asking alot of questions but I can't seem to get information online so I can understand these things so I can talk them over with my doctors, I usually always look up what they tell me so I can have a better understanding and then ask questions so I know what options to pick so thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing what you have to say
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:37 am

User avatar Dear Lainie,

i am not an oncologist but i can try to help you understand simple things.

i am not sure about your previous calcium level but a high calcium can be caused by recurrence of cancer. In cases of lung cancer, a high calcium is associated with a specific type, so if a patient has lung cancer and high calcium, the bets are high that the patient has this specific type of lung cancer. To be able to interpret the results in the context of your case, i should have previous results of your calcium levels.

Regarding pulmonary hypertrophic osteoarthropathy, this is growth of the bones around the ankles and wrist and it is present in cases of what is known as chronic toxemia, so it is not specific to cancer but can be caused by other things such as lung infection (an abscess for instance). But if found in patient, it should trigger looking for cancer as it can be caused by it. The areas affected are painful and tender on touch.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here