Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: moveable lumps in breast?

heather333371 - Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:15 pm

hi, i'm 17 years old. i have been to the doctors to get my breasts checked because i had movable lumps in there, and they said that it was normal. but now in my right breast, i feel a little bump on the bump that can move.. it's not a hard bump and it moves with the big lump.. i'm not sure if i can feel it on my left or not, sometimes i can and sometimes i can't.

can someone tell me if that is a sign of breast cancer? the lump doesn't stay in one place, it moves.

i'm sorry if that was really confusing but please help me!

oh by the way, i have no family history of breast cancer and no symptoms of it.. like it doesn't hurt and theres no discharge or any change in shape.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:15 pm

User avatar Hi Heather333371,

Most likely you are feeling normal fibrous breast tissue. Breast tissue is normally quite lumpy. Some women have more lumps than others. Characteristics of normal lumps are a rubbery feeling (as opposed to hard) and mobile.

Concerning lumps are hard, enlarging, or immobile (fixed in one place).

This is the reason that self breast exams are recommended. This way you become familiar with your breast tissue and the lumps you have so you can recognize if one is getting bigger or if a new, more concerning lump develops.

When doing self breast exams, remember to also check the area that is above the breast going up to the top of the shoulder (referred to as the tail of the breast). A fairly significant amount of time, breast cancer develops in this area.

|