Forum Name: Endometrial Cancer

Question: Cancer Research

jcjg87 - Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:43 pm

Hello. I am a Junior undergraduate student, and I am taking a Cancer Biology class this semster. For our final paper, our professor has asked us to contact a doctor or resarcher and ask a few questions about the cancer type we have chosen. My cancer type is endometrial, and if possible, I would greatly appreciate some feedback on the disease.

The most common methods of treatment for the disease, if any other gynecologic problems such as endometriosis or cysts put you at a higher risk for developing the cancer, how common the cancer is in your area, and if you know of any new treatment options being researched, or if p53 has any link to this cancer

Thank you so much for your help,
Jenny
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:46 pm

User avatar Hi Jenny,

I apologize for not responding sooner. Unfortunately, I don't think we have anyone on our editorial board that specializes in endometrial cancer. I'd be happy to give you the information that I know.

p53 is associated with endometrial cancer. There are several studies suggesting that overexpression of p53 correlates with a poorer prognosis in patients with endometrial cancer.

Treatment basically falls into four areas: surgical removal of the cancer (usually by a hysterectomy), chemotherapy, radiation therapy and hormonal therapy. The specific combination of which of these is used depends upon the stage of cancer as well as the specific genetic make up of the cancer.

Endometrial cancer risk of development basically comes down to estrogen exposure. Women taking estrogen alone (without progesterone) are at increased risk of developing endometrial cancer. In addition, women taking tamoxifen may be at increased risk of developing endometrial cancer as well. Women taking estrogen in combination with progesterone are not at increased risk of developing cancer.

I hope this helps some.

|